Skip to main content

Welcome to the McDowell County Tug Fork Watershed!

 Hello! My name is Emma and throughout this blog I will be diving deep into the watershed that encompasses McDowell County: the Tug Fork watershed. My interest in this watershed location is twofold. My family is from Appalachia and my love of the region encourages me to keep learning more about it. Hence, as a doctoral student in industrial and systems engineering, I am applying my studies to water access in Appalachia (as well as some other water insecure areas in the US). This past year, working with a team of scholars through the Institute for Society, Culture, and Environment at VT and a community non-profit, we surveyed households and collected water samples in McDowell County, West Virginia. Coming from a quantitative, mathematical background, I am extremely excited to learn more about the watershed in this county and couple that knowledge with our water quality findings and information on which waterways are used as collection points for household water.


Comments